Joined: Sun Oct 22nd, 2017
Interests: Vintage Mustangs, RBV's, car shows, & woodworking
Reputation Points: 2533
|This "how to" was again performed on my 2000 Ranger Extd Cab. It was average difficulty, if you have mechanical know how, hand tools, floor jack & jack stands you can do this.
The tools I needed were,
1/4" drive ratchet,
1/4" drive extension,
1/4" drive 9/32 socket,
1/4" drive 1/4" socket,
3/8" drive ratchet,
3/8" drive extension,
3/8" drive torx bit #- T55,
1" wide piece of wood about 1 foot long, or a long straight blade screwdriver,
new plastic fuel line retainer clips, & fuel line spring clip retainer remover tool.
1) After putting a wheel chock in front of one of the front tires I jacked up the rear of the Ranger & put 2 jack stands under the rear axle & set it on the stands.
2) I removed the 3 screws from the filler neck & pushed it out of the opening in the bed side, removed the 6 torx bolts that secure the bed to the frame.
3) Unplugged the harness back at the rear bumper that goes to the tail lights.
4) With a helper I lifted one side of the bed & then the other side, & my helper (wife) slide a 2x4 under the the bed on the frame rail. Then at the back of the bed I again lifted the bed & my helper slide a short length of 4x4 under the bed on top of the 2x4 so the bottom of the rear of the bed would be above the rear bumper. You could also use an engine hoist to lift the bed off the frame as I have done in the past.
5) With your helper slide the bed back far enough to access the fuel lines, electrical connection, & the fuel pump assembly retainer ring.
6) Two of the fuel lines have the plastic retainer clips, & the third one has the spring retainer. Remove the 3 fuel lines, the electrical connection, & the plastic retainer ring & remove the fuel pump assembly.
7) Unplug the fuel pump electrical connection, loosen both fuel pump hose clamps, & remove the screw on the clamp the holds the fuel pump to the assembly, remove the clamp & the fuel pump.
:NOTE: The replacement Bosch fuel pump has a different connector on the top of the fuel pump then the original Ford pump but they supply a adapter wire that plugs into the Bosch pump & the wiring on your assembly plugs into the adapter wire so there is no wiring that is needed to be done, it is a simple plug & play replacement.
8) Install the new filter screen on your new pump, install the new fuel pump hose on the new pump, install & tighten the 2 hose clamps & install the pump. Install the fuel pump retainer clamp & tighten the retainer clamp screw.
9) Reinstall the fuel pump assembly back into the tank with a new tank seal & screw on the retainer ring being careful not to cross thread it.
10) Reinstall the 3 fuel lines, hook up the electrical connection, & check to see if it starts.
11) If all is OK push the bed back into place & remove the two 4x4's & the two 2x4's.
12) Reinstall the 6 torx bolts using anti-seize on the bolt threads & align the bed & tighten the torx bolts, reinstall the filler neck back into the hole in the bed side & install the 3 retainer screws, & install the gas cap & you are done.
08 Escape 4x4(spare)
00 Ranger Extd Cab 4x4 4.0 OHV, Auto(My DD)
99 Explorer Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC, Auto( Wife's DD)
69 Mustang Coupe 5.0, 5 spd(Project & my future toy)
14 Kawasaki Vulcan (Wife's Toy)
Splitting time between southern NJ & Southern Virginia.