Owns A Torsen
Joined: Mon Sep 18th, 2017
Occupation: Design and Innovation
Interests: RBV's, Computers
Reputation Points: 8551
|This was can of worms day 3.0.
Had a few spare minutes this morning, so I took the rest of the day accomplishing very little.
I have never liked how far the front bumper is from the turn signals/grill so I decided to loosen it and adjust it upward.
I loosened the 4 bolts and let it drop down, then thought while I'm under here might as well put that valence on and the second fog light I got from Adam.
I took the nuts off the bumper bolts, tried to take the bumper off and the tow rings were keeping it from coming forward. I loosened the tow rings and ended up taking one off before the bumper would come off.
Then I thought... since I am under here with one tow ring off and the other loose why don't I put on those chrome J hooks that I got from Keegan. I took the other ring off.
With bumper and tow accessories off it looked real easy to get to the headlights and turn signals. I decided to put the turn signals on I got from Tyler and the headlights I got from e-bay.
This was easy except for the rusted clip nuts snapping, the gaskets on the turn signal pigtails were rotted and there was a burned out bulb in the clearance marker. I found some hardware I had left over from an explorer strip down, made everything work. Put the new headlight lenses in and the used but excellent turn signal lenses. Yay.
The grill was showing its age with wind burn. I had a nice one in the garage though it was from a 2WD I put it on.
Started to do the fog lights, took the one that was there off to find a big crack in the plastic at one of the adjusters. Crud, should have got 2 from Adam!
Oh well I figured I'd put the bumper back on and adjust it where it should be, buy some new fog lights and wait to put the valance on till I put the fogs on since it is easier with it off.
Picked the freshly cleaned bumper off the bench, walked backward 12 inches and stepped on the latch of my favorite bluepoint tool kit with a zillion sockets and busted it.
Hobbled the bumper back to the truck, stuck it in the holes, snugged the outside 2 nuts enough for it to slide. Slid it upward... it stopped in the same spot it has been since I bought the truck, about 3/4 of an inch too low. For some reason there isn't enough adjustment to get it closer to the grill.
I'm going to take one off at work tomorrow and compare slots. I might just carve a vertical slot in the bumper and use a big washer if the next bumper has slots in the same position. I don't know, maybe the frame is bent downward, maybe the bolts are loose on the front of the cab, but for whatever reason it will not go up high enough.
I ended the day disgusted and not accomplishing anything near what I wanted. Here is as far as I got:
There was progress but it took way too long.
00 XLT 2WD RCSB 5.0 swap Gherkin
00 XLT 4WD XCSB 4.0 G2
00 XLT 4WD RCSB 3.GO! Jalapeño
00 XLT 4WD RCSB Steppie 3.blown. Mistake
99 XL 4WD RCSB 3.0 PJ (Plain Jane)
00 XLT 2WD RC Steppie 2.5 Dee Dee
ALL Amazon Green Metallic